Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Sleep training
Tonight is the first night of the "cry it out" series that is supposed to teach the babies to sleep through the night. So far Lizzy has been crying for a good 50 minutes and it just breaks my heart. I am not a fan of this method of teaching babies to sleep but no one seems to have a better one unless their babies were just amazing and sleeping through the night on their own. And so here I am, at 4 AM, trying to keep myself busy because there is no way that I can lay in bed and listen to them crying. I sure HATE this part of being a mom but I have been reassured that this is the best thing for the babies. It better be cause it sure is hard!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
50 minutes?! Oh honey! If you as a mama feel the need to go and sooth her- especially after 50 min-do it! Dont pick her up and coddle her- just put your hand on her tummy and try to calm her and then leave. Most babies that are breastfed dont sleep all night till they are 6-9 months! Try the book Becoming Babywise. It makes a lot of sense! Really. Our babies are healthy, growing like weeds and on a great routine because of it. We have done it with all our children and it has worked great! My sister did it with her twins. It took a little extra effort she said- but they were her first too so she said she didnt know any different!
And this is where I admit I'm a horrible mother. No routine for my children. Ryan didn't sleep through the night without being fed until he was almost a year(and yes it drove me insane, but at least I slept). I wish you luck! You can do it!
k you need to read the baby whisperer..I would give you my copy if I could but it is sooooo great it uses kind of the crying it out method but not as cruel...when your baby cried gfo and pick them up and reassure them until they stop crying then put them back down and doing this over til they stop. I can take up to 100 times doing this the first time then it gets less and less each time...it works sooooooo good
Oh doll... don't let your babies cry! I too have a wonderful sleep method that I used called the 3 day sleep book, it is an E-book that I would be more than happy to send to you through email!
Cry-it-out is a CRUEL method!!
One day your babies will push you away, so for now if they want you GO TO THEM, they need you and need to be assured that you are there for them. I will admit, it took me almost a year with Lucy to get her to sleep through the night, and I obviously didn't have 2, but these days as long and daunting as they may seem will end! I promise.
You had them with you all them time when you were pregnant and they still need that re-assurance! Good Luck. email me if you would like that e-book
anthemvolleyballclub@netzero.net
Kristen Barker
Majoritatea o sa iti spuna ca e o metoda rea, etc. Eu am facut asta cu Dacian si intr-adevar era mai mare (10 luni) cand ma saturasem de a ma scula de atatea ori si din fericire a durat numai 20 de minute de plans si s-a sculat noaptea aia de trei ori dar dupa 5 minunte adormea repede. A doua seara nu s-a mai sculat. Plangea apoi doar cand il puneam in pat putin dar in curand il vedeam prin crapatura usii cum se juca cu jucariile si era fericit si odihnit a doua zi. Doctorul meu mi-a zis ca daca il las sa planga asa in trei zile nu mai am probleme. A plans si nu cred ca i-am facut vreun rau. Dr. mi-a zis ca daca cred ca nu pot sa fac asta nu e nici un bai, o sa adoarma ei candva, dar daca m-am saturat si incep metoda sa nu ma las. Am vrut sa ai si un mesaj cu incurajari cu privire la metoda asta. Te pup si succes. Oricum ar fi esti o mama buna si faci ce e bine pt tine si copilasii tai.
Best of luck with sleeping through the night! It sure is a hard one, but so necessary for all of you. We worked and used the method from 'Becoming Babywise'. It was a lifesaver and they are both great sleepers. Now if we can just get through potty training so well. Love you guys and your cute little duo. They are getting so big so fast!
This is such a tough time for little ones (and their mama!!!), especially with two! We used a book called "Lull your baby to sleep plan" or something like that. It worked (most of the time) for us. We also used these special swaddle wraps and that seemed to help both the boys sleep better and calmer (until we tried weaning them off it). All the books suggested you can probably find at your library. Good luck and know that many of us have been in the same place before!
PS - Brian would really love to talk to Scott sometime but has lost his phone number... if he gets a minute and can call Brian sometime that would be great.
As you can see, there are so many methods out there and honestly, different ones work with different babies. I did two of the ones mentioned here with Kalen and they didn't work AT ALL, and I did just have to let him cry it out for over an hour. But that worked--and he was fine two days later. However, one worked with Brady, and then Trace just sort of figured it out himself because I didn't worry about it until he was around 7 months old.
The point is, babies are all different and you know your babies the best. Do what works for them and for you. I love you!!
How did crying it out work? We did it with D (after reading a book)and it worked for 2 weeks... then he started teething. When he got better he refused to go back to sleep on his own and I couldn't let him cry it out again, so I started picking him up every time. I didn't use any books, just did it on my own. It took about one month of sleepless nights for me, but he started sleeping on his own. He's just finished another bout of illness and teething and you know what? He's already back to sleeping on his own for the most part! There are different methods of getting your babies to sleep and I just hope that you can find one that isn't very painful and allows you to get some rest. All the best.
my mom called it child abuse when i showed her a picture of what we did....we taped the pacifier to his mouth......haha. but not like a cruel tape job. it was on so loose, to where it could still fall out of his mouth, but just enough to where he could suck it back in w/o using his hands. hahahaha we laughed so hard when it actually worked.
HANG IN THERE LAURA!!! You're doing the right thing. It is NOT cruel to let your babies cry! It does not hurt a baby to cry. And they need to build that confidence that they can fall asleep by themselves. Only you know what is best for your babies, and if that is what you feel is best, then that is exactly what you should do. Just don't give in; it takes time. You're a wonderful mother! Hang in there!
P.S. I LOVE the Becoming Babywise book mentioned by your friend! I used it and Brayden was sleeping through the night at 11 wks old (and still does at 18 months).
Soacra mea mi-a dat cel mai grozav sfat:
"Live your life worthy of the Spirt so when you need to know what you or your baby need to do He will teach you." Este cel mai bun sfat care l-am primit. Asa ca atunci cand cineva ma sfatuieste incerc sa ma consult cu Spiritul Domnului sa stiu daca acel sfat este bun pentru mine ori bebelusa mea. Succes!
I think that it TOTALLY depends on the baby. They just come how they are. SOme are better sleepers than others, but the majority of infants are not very good at it. I know that Katey is 6 months and still is NOT sleeping through the nights. It is really hard, but they do grow up and eventually start sleeping through the night... and then you find out that you're pregnant again!!!
Love you guys!
Post a Comment