Monday, October 6, 2008

General Conference Thoughts

General conference is a wonderful time for me. I love listening to the inspired words of the prophet and the apostles. They are truly called of God and I have no doubt about that. This conference weekend I particularly enjoyed the messages of hope and faith. In the world we live in today I think those were really needed. I think of Elder Perry's message about life's ups and downs and about the relationship between body and spirit. I loved his message about simplifying our lives. Too often we get caught up in the here and now, the desires vs needs that we forget the eternal perspective.
I would like to especially give a shout out to President Uchtdorf's message during the Relief Society Conference when he advised us to learn a new skill, to create and be compassionate. Those who know me, know that I have no musical talent to show off nor any other art related talent. When talent shows are put on, I have nothing to contribute with. I have often times felt as though I have no talents at all. But I know that is not true, though my talents are not those that can be exhibited at a talent show and I was grateful to hear that once again out of an apostle's mouth. I am so grateful for the gospel and for the joy and peace it brings to my life. I feel my Heavenly Father's love daily and I know that I am not alone. We are not alone. He is there and He loves us and wants us to be happy. Those were some of the thoughts I had during this General Conference.

2 comments:

M. said...

um, you forgot the amazing waffles.... ;) Have you figured out how many cookies you ate yet? The messages were great, remember our little talk you have 9-ish months to learn some VERY cool/good things!

Megan said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! And the reminder about the Relief Society broadcast. I wasn't able to watch it(visiting a friend in a hospital that didn't have the station). But i want to go back and read it now. I think I'm a fan of Elder Wirthlin's talk and Elder Holland's on Saturday afternoon. But I wasn't able to take notes this year so I'll go back and listen to them again when I have the chance and maybe take notes over the next month before the ensign comes out. I love you and hope you are doing well.